Saturday, February 27, 2010

My little back seat driver

When my little Tammy learnt about traffic signal I was very proud.....of myself.....ofcourse for obvious reasons.

Red says NO,
Green says GO
and Yellow says SLOW....SLOW....SLOW!

that was our little traffic signal song :)

Tammy has learnt a lot more by now about traffic rules. STOP sign rule, bike lane, right of way etc etc and she would make sure that I follow all of them......all the time! It is fun most of the time to hear her from the back seat guiding me thru the traffic, can't deny that it gets irritating sometimes.......or let me confess......most of the time. But who would have thought that the most pain in the @$$ rule would be the Yellow signal rule.

My reflex action to the yellow light would everytime be accelerating a little to reach the other side ASAP and little Tammy would always notice this tiny acceleration and would start screaming.... "Mom, it's yellow light, you have to go slow.....slow mom.....slow. I am not talking to you now. You did a wroooooong thing. When its yellow light you need to...." and she goes on and on about it until something interesting catches her attention.

So yesterday I decided to not accelerate when the traffic light turned yellow........and the light I picked to follow this rule had cameras..............which meant "No forgiveness" and all the rest happened in the fraction of second -

- I took my foot off the accelertor which slowed the car down....so I was following the signal.
- I judged that I will make it to the other side assuming that the car behind me will stay put and wait for the next light.
- Wrong assumtion! The next car followed me and I knew right then that he/she will not make it.
- The guilt feeling of me being the reason for his/ her bad luck today creeped in.
- I prayed god to help him /her.
- He/She quickly went to the next lane and crossed the intersection along with me.....making it to the other side just in time.....my prayer was heard.....fast!
- I thanked god for helping him/ her out and got honked at by him /her.


Woah! that's it....I decided I am not listening to my little back seat driver anymore.

On the Side:
I narrated the story to my husband and when I was using "him/her", "he/She", he paused me and said, "Oh! the driver was a HE" and continued looking at my expression questioning how...."the fact that his mind worked fast and he moved to the next lane and saved himself......is a proof in itself".

Hhhhhmmmmmmmmmm.......

No comments:

Post a Comment