Friday, April 24, 2009

Gender Confusion

I was registering at digg.com today. Since I joined the blogging world, digg.com came under my attention many times so I decided to find out more. It is a website where anyone can submit any article, blog, image etc that might have interested them and other "diggers" can read about it. The more the submission is digged, the higher the submission is rated. Cool....I thought. So I decided on trying it out and the first step to try it out, is to register.

Fair enough, I clicked on 'Join Digg', filled up some bare minimum info and clicked on "I agree" to move forward. The Next page said that they have sent me an email to my subscribed email address and that I should open the email and click on the link for further registration steps. So I signed in into my email, opened the email and clicked on the link in it, so far so good. Since the info on the new page that opened was optional, I just entered my full name and moved to the Gender drop-down box. I usually prefer to make my selection for gender even if its optional. When the drop-down box really dropped, I was stunned to see so many options to select from.

[digg_gender-783170.JPG]

Poor me, since I have started filling forms I have always got Male, Female as two options to select from and here I was with this nice little list of options to select from. Nice and confusing....Girl, Lady, Bird, grrrl, Damsel, Belle, Female.....the choice was enormous!

It felt nice to have this list of gender selection for the first time rather than the mundane male and female. They even included transgender, a nice touch of recognition for transgenders I would say. But then the "None of the above" option got me. If I am none of the above, then who could I be. Even if I am an animal, I sure have to be a male or a female type, right?......wrong. That is when my scientific side of the brain kicked in and I remembered of EARTHWORMS!

I bow down to whoever prepared the list. The person (now I am not sure about that) took care of every gender group however small and unimportant it be. A beautiful example of gender non-discrimination.

No comments:

Post a Comment