Saturday, May 22, 2010

Gotta be a better Ambassador

A week back, I was having lunch with my colleagues and one of my colleague mentioned that she loves Indian food and that just yesterday she had an eggplant dish.


She couldn't remember the name of the eggplant dish she had, and being the only Indian on the table, I believed it was my responsibility to help her out, so I started with my list......"Beigan bharta", "Beigan curry", "Beigan ..... right then my Chinese colleague said "Beigan Masala!" and my American colleague went.....YES! I sat there feeling dumb, embarrassed, looser.... I can add more synonyms to it, but you got the idea I believe.


So when yesterday, my manager was scanning through resumes for potential candidates we are looking for, to fill a position in my team, and asked me, "How is Anna University?, Is it a good one?". I very confidently said, "Hmmmmm....I have never heard of it". She said, "If you have never heard of it then it might not be a good one". I said, "Yeah, may be, there are lot of new schools coming up in India".

Out of curiosity, I searched for it on the web and was one more time dumb founded. Anna University was ranked top 5 in India, even above IIT Delhi and IIT Kharagpur! I felt like jumping in the sea, but all I could do was accept my ignorance. When I told her that it 's top ranked University, she gave me a glance of, "How could you have not heard of it" and smiled.

I got up, went to the kitchen, poured myself some green tea and decided that I am going to be a better ambassador to my country. So, I started getting current by reading Indian New papers online and all I could get current about was politics and Bollywood.

Say, that is why it is called General Knowledge (GK).....

PS: Please leave your comments, if any on the blog itself. Thanks....

No comments:

Post a Comment